Membership is important, so start by becoming a member of H. Frank Carey PTSA today. Your membership runs from October-October (so you can renew at any time). Most parents sign up or renew their membership at the start of each school year. We encourage families to sign up for membership for each adult or any other family member that wants to be involved with your child’s school.
Next, get active and get involved. You can show up to Association meetings which are announced well in advance for the whole school year. These meetings are held to allow the Association members to vote on important actions taken by the H. Frank Carey PTSA as well as hear news and updates from school staff, district board members and other community leaders.
We also offer programs and fundraising events. Programs are offered to enhance the student experience at Smith. We need volunteers to ensure these programs are run properly and report back to the PTSA about how it is working out. Fundraisers allow us to have fun while raising money that supports the Programs of H. Frank Carey PTSA. We have seasonal and annual events that every student gets to enjoy. Again, these fundraisers are there to fully support the educational programs put on by H. Frank Carey PTSA.
Whether you have an hour a month, or an hour a day, volunteers come in all shapes and sizes. The first step is to reach out and let us know you want to be involved.
- Enriches your student’s education with new programs that may lack or have lost government funding
- Creates opportunities for learning about technology and new programs
- Show your student that you are actively involved in their school and believe their education is important
- Reinforce programs by knowing more about what’s available to students
- See their family engaged and utilizing all the resources our local school offers
Parents really want to know what they’ll get out of it. So here are some direct benefits you can feel better about:
- Get more directly involved with your child’s school
- Be a role model to your peers and family – and especially your student
- Hear directly from our Principal and Teachers at monthly Association meetings
- Hear about important changes to school programs, funding, and curriculum
- Have direct voice and access to a group that helps with school decisions (programs, activities, social events, and more)
- Meet other parents with kids in the same school and area
- Be part of the solution, not just the discussion or gossip
- Learn to work with a team and new skills by being a committee chair or executive board leader
We try to focus our efforts on programs. The programs we put on to enhance the students’ education at Smith require funding. Our fundraisers are put in place to offset the cost of programs and other related activities and events.
While every effort is made to keep things fun, sometimes we have to be persistent in our message. Without fundraisers, we can no longer put on these great programs year after year. And just in case you don’t think those programs are great, or if there is an idea for a better fundraiser, join the PTSA and make your voice heard.
For your $10 membership fee, you will get to be a part of the National PTSA as well as H. Frank Carey’s PTSA.
We ask that each family has at least one active parent as a member. You aren’t required to sign up an entire family (adults, kids, etc). You can sign up anyone who wants to be actively involved in your student’s school (parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors, etc). You don’t have to have a child as a student to be a H. Frank Carey’s PTSA member.
At H. Frank Carey’s PTSA, you get the following additional benefits:
- Monthly Association Meetings (listen to and speak up about issues)
- Cast your vote on important matters and decisions
- Local Business Discounts
- Actively involved in your child’s education/school
Membership dues are really just the tip of the iceberg. Being a PSTA member helps support our school, our district and our state PTSA organizations. It helps fund legislative programs, insurance, and many other organizational benefits. However, it is not a fundraising opportunity for our school or PTSA.
The $10 fee per member, per year, covers bare necessities.
Volunteering is the lifeblood of our local PTSA at Carey. We rely and require your help in being present at events, social activities, fundraisers, and program help. The PTSA is here to fill the gaps and enhance the education our children receive. We do this through programs that enrich the school experience at Carey.
No, not really – but you should. Meetings are an optional part of PTSA membership. However, meetings are provided (roughly once a month) in order to provide you with information about what’s going on at school, in the PTSA, and to hear your voice on the business dealings of the PTSA. As a member you get to vote and support the direction of where the PTSA is going and what we do for the school and students.