September 14, 2016 General Meeting
- Call to order/Pledge of Allegiance/Inspirational Message –The meeting was called to order at 7:33 by Presidents, Rosel Campos and JoAnn Ringston.
- Presidents Report – The presidents introduced the 2016-2107 PTSA board.
- Reading/Approval of Minutes – The minutes were distributed and reviewed, Minutes stand as approved.
- Treasurers Report – Denise Marchese
As of August 15th 2015, Opening Balance on July 1st 2016 was $21,250.23. There were no deposits or disbursements. Ending balance at July 31st 2016 $21,250.23. Opening balance on August 1 is $21,250.23. Deposits were $8,274. Disbursements were $2,640. Ending balance as of August 31st was $26,884.23
- Audit Committee – The audit committee met on August 4th. Members: Robin Abrahamson, Carmela Schneider, MJ Jacobs and Susanne Roselli. The books were found to be compliant.
Budget -The 2016-2017 budget was distributed on every table. Budget stands as approved.
- Correspondence – Denise Morfesi reported that we received thank you cards from Special Ed department for Staff Recognition and from seniors who received PTSA scholarships. Ms. Angilillo sent a thank you card for our support during her years at Carey. A mass card was sent to Mrs. Formado on the passing of her daughter.
- Principals Report – Mr. Fiore introduced himself and thanked everyone for the warm welcome.
- Student Activities – Ms. Bergbom reported that a former Carey student Gianna Cannavo was named 3rd runner up the National Homecoming Queen competition. 7th grade elections are coming. Petitions available at Club fair. Those running for office will speak at an assembly. The club fair is Tuesday Sept 20th after school. It’s a great opportunity to see all the clubs at Carey. Kick off Dance is 9/23/16. It is a well-supervised dance of mostly 7th graders. It is $5 to attend or $3 with a student activity card. Pep rally is 9/30 at our field. There is a new 8th grade advisor, Ms. Costello. Homecoming is 10/29 and the Dads club cooks a pancake breakfast before parade.
This Friday, Sept 16, the student government honors Varsity players with a breakfast.
Junior High Drama will be in January after construction. SR High drama will be in
- Student Reps – Ryan Estes and Antonia Marchese reported the following: Fall Varsity Breakfast is Friday morning (Sept 16th)/7th grade election petitions open on Monday (Sept19th)/Kickoff Dance will be Friday 9/23/ Senior Group Photo day is 9/27th after fourth period/Oct 7th is Spirit Day. The theme is “cities”/Senior portrait retakes are Oct 6th & 7th. Call Lifetouch for appointment.
- Committee ReportsMembership – Cathy Ferrara reported in writing that PTSA currently has 298 members. If you haven’t received your membership card by email, you should have
by the end of the week. (via email) If you ordered mini calendar, Cathy will get to you or you can pick up at next meeting. If you haven’t joined you can do online. Please spread the word!
- Carey Wear – was available for purchase at Orientation, and the first football game. It is selling very well. If you want to see Carey wear at an event, please let us know.
- Bake Sale – Chairperson Jane Chan reported that the bake sale will be held on November 7th. A signup sheet was passed around to bake or help that day.
- Board of Ed – Phyllis Falco and Cheryl Scarry reported that our High school district has 8,400 students. This number is down from prior year. We hired 48 new teachers. Phase 3 of Renovation is underway. The renovation of our Auditorium will be in February. Solar Panels will be installed.
The 1-1 initiative has been implemented for 7th graders. They received their iPads. 8th graders will be given their iPads in February New schools now test for lead. Our school district has met the standard for lead safety. The old water fountains were removed & new bottle refill stations are being installed. Next meeting is Sept 27th on 3rd Floor of Sewanhaka H.S.
- Dads Club – Andrew Monteleone
September 25th. Shed the Meds at the Sanitary District #6. Get rid of your expired/unwanted medications.
Oct 14th Movie Night on the Football field. Fun & games followed by movie at 7:30PMOct 29th Pancake breakfast prior to homecoming parade.
The Dads Club is running a Super Seahawk 50/50. Tickets available at football games. Drawing will be Nov 3rd.
- SEPTA – Cathie Wright reported that the Special Education PTA will have its first meeting on Wednesday, Oct 19th in the library of HFC (2nd floor). There will be a presentation of “The ABC’s of OPWDD (The NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities)
- New Business – Past President, Vicki Gioia installed new officer Val Metzger to position of Historian. Jane Chan is looking for parents for an iPad committee
Reflections – Is in need of a chairperson
- Meeting adjourned
Submitted by S. Roselli